Traditionally, Hythe Green had always been used for recreational purposes, with frequent fairs being held there over the centuries.
By Napoleonic times, barracks had been built nearby and the Military Canal cut through between them and The Green.
DEED OF COVENANT 1853
By 1853, The Green was partially owned by The War Department.
A Plan dated 1853 shows The Green to be divided into three parts. The Western part of approximately 40% was to be used for archery and an arboretum. The Central part, also about 40%, was for a cricket ground, with the remaining 20% eastern section for bowling greens. (These facilities were subsequently located in other parts of Hythe.)
Central to the 1853 scheme was a substantial planted screen around the The Green’s perimeter, with a footpath immediately inside it.
The Deed stated that no part of it was to be used for building purposes, and was made between “The Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of the Town and Port Borough of Hythe of the first part; and Henry Duesbury, Stephen Barton Wilson, Joseph Horton and William Evenden of the second and other part by which plots of land were sold……. “.
The Deed also contained provisions for the making and maintenance of the roads. (From Report to the General Purposes Committee - May 1904. The full text may be read here)